Friday, January 9, 2009

"My relationship with Jesus? Well, it all started with Tim Tebow's eye black."

Let me just start by saying I've about had it up to here with Tim Tebow (I've got my hand right up around eye-level). He bothers me for some reason. Maybe it has to do with sportscasters lauding him as college football's Gandhi, or maybe it was the over-emotional speech he gave after Florida's (sole) loss to Ole Miss, which concluded with a "God bless" and a dramatic walk away from the podium.

And what was the deal with the John 3:16 in his eye black last night? Seriously? I know he's a missionary and everything and there are kids in the Philippines (or is it Thailand?) named after him, but can we leave Jesus on the bench for the BCS Championship football game? If I were Urban Meyer, I would have wanted his pregame focus to be on converting third downs, not souls. And in terms of John 3:16: at least be original, man! Advice: Next time you want to drop some biblical knowledge on us, give us something practical--like Deuteronomy 27:23 (which warns men not to sleep with their mothers-in-law).

No comments: