Friday, April 25, 2008

Tapes 'n Tapes, Boris Yeltsin


On April 8, new records dropped from Tapes 'n Tapes ("Walk it Off") and Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin ("Pershing"). I tried to scoop them both on that day, but the SSLYBY album was sold out (so I had to wait a couple days). Anyhow, they are both really good records.
I had the chance to see the bands on consecutive nights this week in DC. Tapes 'n Tapes was at the 9:30 Club on Wednesday night and SSLYBY (pictured above) was at the Black Cat last night.
Tapes 'n Tapes failed to play "Lines," which I think is among the best tracks on the new record, but they did play some great tunes from their previous album "The Loon," including maybe their best song "Omaha."
In terms of SSLYBL, I was really struck with how young, talented, and enthusiastic they were. They played all of my favorite tunes from the new record as well as the previous one, "Broom." Massive respect.
Really good shows...

No comments: