Thursday, February 19, 2009

One on One with 'Slumdog Millionaire' Star Dev Patel

TOBY OR NOT TOBY: Dev, thanks a lot for taking time out to talk with us.
DEV PATEL: No problem.
TONT: So… Wow... Slumdog Millionaire's up for, what, ten Oscars this year?
DP: Yes, ten. We’re really excited that so many people are responding to the film.
TONT: I bet. When you read the script and agreed to be a part of the project, did you have any idea that it would see this kind of critical acclaim?
DP: Honestly, no. I thought it was a great script and I was excited to work with Danny Boyle, but I didn't...
TONT: I mean, let’s be honest, the movie isn’t that good.
DP: I'm sorry?
TONT: You know what I mean... It’s kind of got that cheesy, manipulative, rags-to-riches thing going on. It’s kind of... I don’t know… Impotent.
DP: I’m not sure I know what you mean… I...
TONT: Well, the love story is kind of hackneyed and the whole fable is a little too cutesy.
DP: ...
TONT: Did you see The Wrestler? That was sick. Rourke’s performance is off the chain. (The Curious Case of) Benjamin Button was ok I guess. I felt like, going in, I knew what was going to happen, but I still had to pay $10 to sit there for almost three hours and actually see it happen. It was like watching a really long trailer. You know what I’m saying? And I haven’t seen Milk yet, but I’m really fired up to check it out. I heard it’s really good. Maybe I’ll do that this weekend if the weather's bad. Do you ever go to the movies when the weather's good? I do that sometimes and it makes me feel kind of guilty—like I’m not making the most of a good day. But, it’s like, sometimes I’d rather go see a movie than throw around a Frisbee or something, you know?
DP: ...
TONT: Do you play Ultimate? I have a lot of friends who are really into it. It seems kind of nerdy to me. I don’t really know why, but whenever I walk past a field and I see a bunch of bandana-headed dudes playing, I’m always like, “Man, those guys are losers.” You don’t get that with many other sports. Ultimate’s like the Dungeons and Dragons of athletic activities.
DP: ...
TONT: ...
DP: ...
TONT: Dev, man, thanks so much for chatting with us.
DP: ...

1 comment: